Monday, March 21, 2016

Brazil Visit 5, Post 8

Am amazed at the personal sacrifices that my hosts are willing to make. After feeding me, washing my clothes, indulging my penchant for walking for exercise and many other things they are also willing to drive me long distances rather than have me take a bus. One brother did this twice traveling many hours out of his way. Another took a whole day off work to drive me to my next destination. As I have mentioned in the past driving in Brazil is no picnic. We are not cruising down the Interstate. Once again flexability and preparation are the key. Arrived in Vitoria not knowing if I would be asked to preach. About 3 hours before the meeting began I received the invitation. Thankfully God had been speaking to me about several things,and I had prayed and made notes in the morning. I spoke about the return of the Lord and about depending on the Holy Spirit in our weakness as Paul writes of in 2 Corinthians 12. Was blessed with a skilled translator although I am thankful for everyone who translates for me. Afterwards was blessed with a number of greetings and conversations with friends from my previous four visits to this city. Yesterday my host family took me to the beach. We walked along a trail through the woods in extreme heat, and then parallel to the ocean until we reached a sandy area about 100 yards wide with the ocean on one side and a lagoon on the other. The freshwater lagoon was literally like bathwater. Not very many people were there so it was very tranquil. Despite a sun umbrella, liberal applications ( i.e. plural) of sunscreen, and very little time in the sun I burned. Now my normally pinkish skin has turned red. I feel like an albino in Brazil. Today I meet other friends for the midday meal and fellowship in the afternoon. I plan to stay indoors as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment