Saturday, July 11, 2009

Biblical Friendship

For much of my life I was a classic loner. I really didn't like people; my favorite activity was reading books. Some years ago, as God captured my heart, He made it clear that He wanted me to befriend others. I had no idea how to do this. I assumed that everyone else had a handle on it that I lacked. To my astonishment I discovered that a lot of guys had trouble with this. They might converse about their work, or coffee or the NFL but anything deeper made them squirmy. There followed years of attempting to follow the Lord's heart in this area. Today i am blessed with an ever increasing number of Biblical friendships.
What does Biblical friendship look like? You need availability, which in our frenetic society means intentionally making time for it. You need trust, which takes time to develop. I think you look for those who can offer godly counsel based on their receptivity to the Holy Spirit, ongoing study and application of the Word of God, and life experience. You need not have gray hair. I had breakfast this morning with a young brother who exemplifies the humility, heart for God, ability to give godly advice and willingness to consider viewpoints with which he may not agree that provides the foundation for true Biblical friendship.
The Proverbs contain much wisdom on this subject.
A. "The sweetness of a man's friend comes from his earnest counsel." 27:9b
B. "Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety."11:14
C. "Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisors they succeed." 15:22
D. "Plans are established by counsel; by wise guidance wage war." 20:18
E. "By wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory." 24:6
Paul exemplifies the process i'm discussing in Romans 1:11-12. "For I long to see you, that I may impart some spiritual gift to strengthen you- that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine." I think this idea of mutual encouragement in the faith the essence of Biblical friendship and true brotherhood in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment