Friday, July 17, 2009

Melange

Had the opportunity to go to a Bible study with some saints in Enfield, CT last night. Some highlights were as follows:
A. Psalm 37:4 says "Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." From my earliest days as a believer almost forty years ago I have heard this interpreted to mean that God will give us whatever we want. I have questioned this for awhile. If we delight ourselves in the Lord, isn't He the desire of our heart? I mentioned this to the group & was astonished to have them all agree that this verse wasn't saying that we could have whatever we wanted.
B. One of the primary themes of those flowing in the house church river (if you will) is the fifty or so "one another" verses found in the NT, telling us to love one another, encourage one another etc. One we don't talk about, brought up by a brother named Gary, is found in James 5:16 "Confess your sins to one another." He mentioned that we don't do this. This is an essential ingredient of true Biblical friendship/brotherhood. This verse provides a telling indicator of how deep our relationship with a person truly is. It's causing me to make a reassessment.
C. As I look forward to constant travel in the future I have had occasion to explore the idea of a GPS system for the vehicle. I'm a techno-dunce so I resisted for awhile. Then people began showing them to me & it seemed like I could use them. Then I started looking into the expense. (About $150 for a good one on the Internet) I happened to mention the subject at this Bible study with the idea of seeing whether a consensus might develop on the best brand. To my astonishment, a brother I was meeting for the second time offered to give me a practically brand new one of the brand that most people favor. I continue to be blown away by the generosity of God's people. This is a new thing for me. I am accustomed to being able to get things that I really need, but only thru hard work and frugality, or as I used to call it- perpetual austerity budget.
"Give and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap..." (Luke 6:38 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment