Thursday, October 1, 2009

Missouri Meanderings

Enjoyed the rare privilege of some one on one time with my adult married daughter in the most unlikely place, Chicago's O'Hare airport as she waited for a plane to the coast. Among other things, we discussed the importance of our identity in Christ. I believe our insecurities originate in believing things about ourselves contrary to what God says we are in Christ. For example, He says we are "beloved children. (Ephesians 5 in the first several verses) Many people, including myself for many years, don't believe He loves His children.

Enjoyed the hospitality of my friends Tom & Diane that night. Thanks guys. Long drive (640 miles) to SW Missouri the next day. Southern Illinois has crops whereas southern MO has grazing animals. Crossed the Mississippi River about midday and called my friend Gary, who grew up in the area. (St. Louis)

I'm now immersed in small town America. Although I sometimes feel like a visitor from another planet, after having lived in major metropolitan areas most of my adult life, I find the change refreshing. Everyone is friendly and helpful- one gentleman stopped to offer me a ride as I did my morning constitutional-and the pace of life provides serenity. Family ties have meaning. Getting a driver's license, with private contract rather than government employees, was a pleasant experience instead of the usual stress.

If things go according to plan I intend to visit people in western Iowa, and the Denver and Tucson areas before heading out to a big gathering in southern CA. May the Lord Jesus reveal Himself to you in a deeper way.

No comments:

Post a Comment