Thursday, February 25, 2010

Conference

Last weekend had the privilege of accompanying my friend Andrew, who lives here at the house, and our friend Mari to a "School of Healing and Impartation" Conference in Camarillo, CA. (Thanks for driving, Andrew) Featured speakers included Randy Clark, Bill Johnson of Bethel in Redding, CA. Randy Hoague, Tom Jones, and Will Taylor. This is the first time I had encountered any of these men in person. We came midway of the second day, just in time for the panel to respond to a series of questions written down previously by conference attendees. These ranged from A to Z. What struck me most was not their responses per se, but the humorous tenor of their replies. Each one showed a sense of humor, often self-deprecating. I am encouraged when leaders/teachers don't take themselves too seriously.
Over the remainder of that day & most of the next I heard each of these men speak. Although none would qualify as a Bible teacher, based on what I heard, each brought forceful, pertinent testimony and cogent thoughts with allusions to the Word. The audience, averaging perhaps four hundred, was quite responsive. At the end of most of these sessions there were times of prayer, which many desired. As it happened I traveled to the conference in the third day of a worsening illness, which included fever, chills, and later a deep, raw cough & loss of voice. A number of people prayed for me over the course of time. I was not healed and am just recovering five days later.
However, the last man who prayed for me mentioned three separate things in the course of his prayer that were all true concerning me. It is important to note that I met this man sixty seconds before he commenced his prayer, my companions did not know these three things nor could he have guessed them by looking at me. He did not say anything that was incorrect. So coincidence or word of knowledge? (1 Cor 12:8) I did hear testimony of dramatic healing albeit only one or two cases.
We paid $35 per day for the conference, an offering was taken, and a separate room contained tables of books, CD's etc. for sale. Of course only the conference fee was compulsory.
In 1 Cor 12, beginning in verse 12 Paul compares the believers to a physical body. If this part of the body is a knee or an arm does that mean they aren't necessary? As stated before in this blog I believe in gleaning. If it is necessary to have spotless doctrine before we can receive from anyone then we will receive from no one. Jesus makes it clear that He desires fruit in our lives. (John 15) So while I am not interested in becoming a Word of Faith devotee, I wish to respond to the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment