Saturday, August 7, 2010

Honor

dear saints,
this past week has gone by in a blur. I'm e-mailing, editing, visiting & trying to encourage the saints. Wednesday had me getting up at 5:40, to drive to Cambridge by eight, to meet with my brother Gary. Discussed the continually controversial question of the belief that many Christians have in restricting participation in the Lord's Supper (communion) to baptized believers. In a nutshell, I find no Biblical evidence to support that view point. Then off to have lunch & fellowship with Chris from Quincy. I hope to visit this group soon. Met up with my potential Timothy, a brother named Josh in mid afternoon. We will see what develops as he & his wife pray about an intentional leadership mentoring season. Then off in late afternoon to send out our brother Anthony to the D. R. A number of us gathered together to pray for him. Finally that evening got together with M. T. & C. Rex to work on wedding prep & to discuss Biblical financial principles.
Thursday met with our brother John to explore direction for an incipient regional leaders group that has met twice thus far. I am praying that God will raise up a regional itinerant team to minister to the house churches in New England.
I had not previously studied the theme of honor Biblically. While I knew it lodged in the Scripture I had no idea of the theme's prevalence. The "honor" word group is mentioned almost two hundred times, Old and New Testaments, including eight different places in which children are told to honor their parents. ( I think this is life long, in contrast to obeying parents, which I interpret as ceasing at adulthood.) Romans 12:10b "In honor giving preference to one another."

1 comment:

  1. One reason for the baptism issue is that baptism
    is often delayed for reasons that are not Biblical.
    In Acts, baptism occurred soon after conversion,
    unlike in many Western settings. If Baptism was
    done promptly, this would be less of an issue.
    In India, this is a common question. The Didache
    indicates that only baptized persons could take
    Communion, and this position has been very influential over the years. But as you said, the
    NT is silent on this issue.

    ReplyDelete