Monday, August 16, 2010

Trigger words etc.

As I continue to interact with people, it seems that we all have "trigger words," ones that set off an adverse reaction in us, usually because of some experience in our past. The problem is that most of these are not readily apparent to the uninitiated speaker using the particular word. If only two people are interacting it seems much more feasible to work through these communication roadblocks; the greater the number the more difficult.
Traditions are another problematic area. When we do things over an extended period of time (generations, centuries) it is almost inevitable that we forget why we do them. Traditions will persist for a time after the reason is lost, eventually they come crashing down. Sadly, oftentimes the original reason that sparked the tradition is a good one.
Today, as i took my walk, I fell in with a man trekking in the same direction. I regret to say that my normal response would be to say hi & good-bye & continue on my way. (My exercising is more important than conversing with him) Today, by the grace of God, I adjusted to his pace, listened to him discourse on woodworking, civic responsibility, and the problems of the woman with whom he lives. As a result I now know his name, his residential & business locations, and can pray for and follow up on him with the hope of introducing him to Christ. We need to see people as the reason why God keeps us here, rather than as interruptions to our plans. I think of the analogy of a retail store whose employees are so busy stocking etc. that they don't respond to customer inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment