Friday, August 23, 2013

Brasilia ( 3)

     The days begin to blend into each other. The church here has approximately 300 people whom I am meeting a few at a time as they have whole church meetings once a month with many smaller groups meeting during the month. Each day or evening i am meeting a different group of people. Last night was mostly middle aged married couples. They are being discipled by Wanderley & Marta, and in turn they disciple others. One, named Edward, is a very intelligent fellow who works with computers for the government. On the side he is writing a book about ethics and moral philosophy. I have taken three philosophy courses at the college level over the years. Unfortunately most of this did not stick. Still he is a fascinating man to listen too, and in English he goes slow enough for me to follow the current of his thinking.
     Today i took a walk alone through the neighborhood. Brasilia is laid out in an organized pattern but all the rotaries, squares, and general layout is repeated many times so that all looks the same. i walked in a straight line for a number of blocks and then turned around to return. Somehow I went too far, past my original departure point. I am staying in the 100 block and somehow ended up in the 300 block. Turning around again, I found my way to the 100's without ever seeing the 200's.
     The night before we went to a different area by car and met with a home group. The host plays for the local symphony orchestra. Enjoyed listening to him as we worshiped. Wanderley gave a very clear, organized, to the point teaching about discipleship using power point projected off a wall. This type of teaching seems to be rare in Brazil. Usually I hear long preaching sessions. I understand preaching as proclaiming and appealing to the emotions, and teaching as explaining and appealing to the mind.
     Hot water is hit or miss here. I don't believe i have ever experienced a bathroom sink with hot water. Showers can be hot or cold but always unpredictable. I have gotten used to shaving with cold water.
    My friend Samir from Porto alegre has reactivated his blog. For those who can read Portuguese I believe it will prove valuable. If I can remember how i connected to Bill's blog (probably someone helped me), i will provide a link to Samir's.

No comments:

Post a Comment