Friday, August 9, 2013

Natal

     Natal is the Portuguese word for Christmas. It is also the name of a region of South Africa, and the name of the city in northern Brazil where i am currently staying. It was a challenge to get here. Brazilian highways are like two lane country roads so it would have taken a number of days to drive here. There is no direct flight from Vitoria to Natal so I fly south to Rio de Janeiro, about a fifty minute flight but a six hour drive, in order to get on a plane from Rio to Natal, thus flying over Vitoria to get there. Of course the first flight was almost empty and i had three seats to myself. The second was full. Brazilians form into lines before the flight is called to get onto a plane and are especially eager to get off.
     I had wondered how i might know who was supposed to meet me in Natal as i don't know anyone from that city. To my surprise the greeting party of eight included two friends and others who recognized me from other contexts. Of course some were there to meet a young sister who also had the same flight. All of this at almost three in the morning. At about 3:30 my new host greeted me and showed me a wonderful suite which includes a bathroom. In contrast to many people, Marcelo speaks slow enough for me to understand more of what he says and we have had several conversations. His whole family is tranquil which is a blessing for me.
    Last night Marcelo took me to meet Wagner, a young English teacher. We spoke about the eternal purpose of God in English. Wagner was very attentive. I have also begun to walk again for exercise about half an hour and hope to work back up to an hour and a half once my foot is completely restored.
    Two small land turtles live in the yard. I watched them eat discarded fruit this morning. Turtle heads and necks are ugly.
    As with so many biblical themes and principles, the Brazilian Christians that i have met understand the idea of spiritual children, an idea encapsulated in 1 Corinthians 4:15, and the relationship of Paul and Timothy. This morning I was blessed enormously to have a young man of my acquaintance ask if we could have that relationship. God is very good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment