Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Winding Down

     Am beginning the last week of my summer in Brazil. Last night was invited to the home of Wagner, one of the pastors in the church in Brasilia. I had met his youngest son, Lucas, previously in various locations, and eventually the rest of his family but was the first time in his house. Wagner had been in San Luis, a city far to the north, and had the opportunity to give a message there about the kingdom of God which he shared with me, and three other brothers including my friend Carlos. Wagner is a forceful speaker, well suited for the type of preaching that works here in Brazil. He had the courtesy to speak slowly and have patience with my occasional requests for clarification. Both of his older children are in the process of getting married. I have been invited to the formal ceremony of betrothal of his older son Diego this Saturday. Wagner is also trying to arrange a BBQ for me in my remaining days here.
     Ironically i have Wagners of German descent in my family tree. My relatives always claimed that they were related to Honus Wagner, the great Hall of Fame shortstop, but i have no idea if this is correct. I doubt my friend Wagner has German blood.
     Tonight i have been invited to a home group and look forward to this experience as i have been meeting in homes for many years.
     God is faithful. Life is hard. A student at the local university, a young man of 25, had convulsions and died yesterday. I don't know if there was any previous history. I do know that none of us has any guarantee of how long we will be here on this planet. For those who have put their trust in Christ and received his Lordship, "Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints,". (Psalm 116:15) Those who have not will suffer the penalty of eternal destruction." (2 Thessalonians 1:9) for having denied the only Savior, Jesus Christ our Lord.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment