Sunday, August 23, 2015

Brazil 4- 18

Just participated in a baptism. As i have or should have mentioned the concept of flexibility is absolutely crucial when i am in Brazil. I had heard there would be a baptism; i did not know that i would be baptizing. There are clocks in this house, and i have never carried a watch. My hostess reminded me of the baptism; thankfully it was across the street. I went over, greeted and was greeted by a number of people, and found a place in the shade. Even with sunblock the Brazilian sun can be fierce. Suddenly a woman came over and said that Marcelo, a home group leader that i had met previously, wanted me to participate in the baptism. By this time the modestly sized home and pool was filled with adults and children. I guess at least seventy-five people were present. The woman attempted to explain that the hostess had some of her husband's clothes that i could wear in the pool. With all the noise and confusion i did not get the details. So four people all started talking at the same time to explain it to me. This made things more confusing. Finally i figured it out. The hostess' husband is one of the few Brazilians i have met who is my size. Some Brazilians are tiny. Reclothed i waited as various people prayed or spoke to and about the two women who were to be baptized. I was asked to speak as well and shared from Matthew 28:18-20, which i once began reading, many spoke aloud with me from memory. One fascinating thing is that neither of the pastors were present, to me a healthy sign that others could and would take responsibility. The first woman was in early middle age. We baptized her and then aided the second, a young blind woman to whom i had been introduced the night before at the birthday celebration, to enter the pool. I was happy that Marcelo explained the actual physical process of going under the water to her, as she would not have been able to witness it. Afterwards her mother told me how excited her daughter was to have an international participant. I was also pleased to see her dad jump into the pool and participate with us. I believe this reflects God's order, as His authority flows directly to parents and the father especially with regard to the children. Another highlight from the evening before happened when one of the pastors called his wife up to the stage. She normally has a somewhat strained expression but when her husband began to praise and thank her a la the end of Proverbs 31, she lit up like a stadium light. It was a beautiful thing to witness. He had a flower for her also to mark their thirty-first wedding anniversary. Later i will return to Vitoria with my friend Norberto and his wife unless plans change yet again. My time in Bahia has been very busy but wonderful.

1 comment: