Monday, August 3, 2015

Brazil Visit 4: Post 6

Walked along the beach again this morning. In addition to the things previously described in other posts, saw personal trainers and their clients, people giving and receiving massages, no homeless people today, older men sitting on benches in the shade speaking with animation, and even people sunbathing. Going to the ATM in Brazil is also an adventure. Generally they are inside buildings. In this case I put any metal objects in a place like a mail slot, go through a metal detector, and retreive my items. I then go to the end of a line, watched carefully by armed security personnel. Unlike American ATM's where you can do all your business at one machine, there is a bank of eight or ten ATM's. You can do different functions at different machines. I wanted to get bills of smaller denominations, specifically twos and fives because of the problem of getting change. Unlike the US, where you can give $20 for a $8 purchase, and have no problem getting $12 in change, in Brazil the cashier is always asking for exact change. This means that the smaller bills go fast. Unfortunately the machines that i visited had only tens and twenties. At least it said it has twenties but actually only had tens. I know enough Portuguese to ask a question, but often cannot understand the answer. Last night had a different snack. I was served a small bowl with tomatoes cooked in such a way to resemble the consistency of the portobello mushrooms served in restaurants, tiny shelled boiled eggs, and even smaller onions. The day before the dessert, served midday, was tiny ice cream cones with a pudding type filling. Pizza is popular here. It does not have heavy cheese as does most American pizza. Dessert is not a given. My current host family never has dessert. Of course they are not overweight either. Cultural differences are continual. I am fellowshipping with people who believe that the primary evidence that God is doing work in a person's heart is the presence of tears. Certainly Jesus wept ( John 11:35), and Paul describes his ministry with the church in Ephesus to its elders, as with tears. ( Acts 20:19) Normally in the US, if we cry, we then wipe away our tears. But if one believes that this represents the work of God then one would not wipe away the evidence. When this was discussed in a small group recently I remarked that there are major cultural differences between Brazil and the US. My friend, who I know does respect and care for me said, "Do you forget between visits?" The Brazilians that I meet have an assurance of their certitude about things that I normally do not, except when presenting the Word of God, or basing my life upon it. This may reflect my personality or that i live in a dying society with a disintegrating culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment