Monday, August 10, 2015

Brazil Visit 4: Post 11

Several nights ago, i had the pleasure of an evening with true friends. I had had time with them in each of my four visits to Brazil. This time they invited me to their home, along with another friend, and we enjoyed a very nice meal, and non stop fellowship. The wife had a passion for older theological books, which she reads in both English and Portuguese, and even translates from English into Portuguese. She was like a little child at Christmas showing me all of her "treasures,", hundreds of books that she has accumulated over the years. Yesterday with my last day with another friend who has hosted me this last week. Because he lived half his life in a state in the south of Brazil, and the other half in a different state in the middle of the country, he thinks of himself as word that i cannot spell, which combines both, something like a Penn-Yorker for someone who lived in both Pennsylvania and New York. He is also into very healthy food, and has been giving me this strange, green, vegetable juice to drink, which i suspect will cause me to grow leaves. Celebrated the wedding of two friends last night with about two hundred other people. Volunteer brothers and sisters clad in formal black served and coordinated things. The music was primarily in English, reflecting the desire of the bride, who lived in the USA for seven years. Four people shared publicly, including our brother Vinci, who spoke anointedly about fathers ( it was also Father's day in Brazil), weaving this into his preaching on marriage. While i was speaking with one friend, a young woman approached me, and introduced herself. She is quite fluent in English, and told me that she reads this blog. What surprised me was that she lives in a city that i have not ever visited. She also has visited Scotland twice on short term missions trips, so i was able to share a quite dated story of my time there over forty years ago. Definitely the highlight of my evening. Today i am in a home and a city that i have stayed in twice before. My friend here is eager to walk for exercise early in the morning and we had a good time of fellowship. he speaks clearly and a little slowly with me, and i think that i understood ninety percent of what he said. however, when an acquaintance stopped by briefly on a bicycle, and they spoke, i understood maybe ten percent. My hosts constructed a little guesthouse on their property two years ago, and i feel like a prince staying there. I also thank God that He can take the foolish things of this world, and the things that are nothing, and use them for His glory. ( See the end of 1 Corinthians 1, beginning in verse 26.)

No comments:

Post a Comment