Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Brazil visit 4: Post 7

Uniforms are popular among different types of workers. The local taxi drivers wear blue shirts. Along the area of beach that i walk there are at least three different taxi stands. I have counted as many as ten drivers waiting at one time. Have never seen anyone get into a cab for a ride. The municipal street cleaners come on busses. They wear full haz mat type gears and look like they are going to fight aliens rather than sweep fallen leaves off the sidewalk. Had an adventure at the bank. Went by myself to buy small denomination bills of two and five reals. A real is currently worth about 28 cents. Went through the usual security procedures including one man perched behind a bullet proof enclosure. Waited in a holding area with a little slip of paper like you get at the meat counter in the grocery store. An eletronic counter showed you when your number appeared. Mine was 78. I went around the partition to discover only one teller. After saying that i was not fluent in Portuguese, I explained what i wanted, which she understood, and gave her 2 fifty real bills to exchange. Bear in mind that this branch is part of a major national bank in a fair sized city. After a little discussion she handed one of the fifties back to me, saying that she did not have enough 2's and 5's to give me for one fifty, and would have to give me several tens. Mentally i scratched my head and thought who does have change in Brazil if the banks don't? I still do not know the answer. Another cultural difference is the reality that even new acquaintances feel free to ask you very personal questions. Their interest is genuine and sincere but it is disconcerting. I usually try to give a response. Today i move to another home with a newly widowed elder of the church. Have memorized eight verses in Portuguese now but need to review several times a day to keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment