Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jesus and His people

I believe that those who are adopted into the family of God have three primary relationships. The first is a personal relationship with God. The second is with the believers with whom we fellowship on any regular basis (spouse/family/friends/local church etc.). The third is with the Body of Christ as a whole. When we move from theory to practice I find that the second one usually outweighs the other two by a considerable margin. This results in severe problems. As I continue in my walk I discover that most believers have had what I call the "inevitable bad church experience." Let me hasten to say that this can happen just as easily in a house church as in a traditional one. Some people have had multiple bad church encounters in which they felt, rightly or wrongly, that they had suffered marginalization, mistreatment or even abuse. Many people's faith does not survive. They may reject Christ outright, they may have private interaction with Him that no one else really knows about, or they may travel from one setting to the next searching for a "good" church.
Drawing from my own lengthy experience in this, and observation of many others over the decades, may I suggest the following. We will never have a healthy relationship with anyone if we don't have one with God first. Instead of expecting individuals or groups to fulfill our needs, heal our wounds, and help us live fruitful, blessed lives, we need to abide in Christ first. People will always disappoint us. In the last ten years or so, I have made it a practice to say to people with whom I am becoming friends, that i won't meet their expectations. that I will offend them or do or say something I shouldn't simply because of my humanity. In contrast, God, if properly understood, will never disappoint although we may not get what we desire.
If we cultivate a relationship with Jesus, then we will desire to share that with others who know Him. We will want to give (in a multitude of ways) what God has given to us. Sadly, most Christians attempt to receive from God's people what only He can give. I did it for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment