Friday, August 7, 2009

Musings on Sin... and Grace

As I enter the second, and last, month of my transition before hitting the road on September 1st, i am thankful for the opportunity to spend time with Jesus. My mother's condo has a enclosed sun porch that lends itself to one on one time with Him. As I come to Him, each day differs but one theme repeats itself. I have hesitated to mention it but will give it a try.
The Bible speaks with utter clarity that before we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit (Not by works of righteousness that we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit Titus 3:5NKJV) we are sinners. (disobedient to God) "But God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
As I enter the presence of an infinitely Holy God, I desire cleansing of my current sin. We are told to confess our sins (which requires humility and attacks our pride) and He will cleanse us. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9) Often times I wonder if I have anything else to offer Him but my sin. I think we can be oblivious to our own rebellion and depravity. It is when we draw closer to God, and He to us that our sin is highlighted in contrast to His perfection. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4:8) Pondering the reality that my usual offering to God is the sin that I am asking Him to remove leads me to the staggering wonder of grace.
His grace redeemed me decades ago but He continues to extend it to me. My mother lives in a nursing home, unable to bathe herself. People are paid to do it for her but God bathes me in His grace without charge. I need to forsake my pride, confess and turn from my sin, and receive His washing in humility. Father God, I ask that you will give me further revelation of your heart in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment