Friday, March 12, 2010

Different Species?

In Proverbs 30, Agur writes, "Three things are too wonderful for me, four I do not understand; the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maid." As I lay contemplating the vast differences in the way in which men and women perceive and relate to the world around us, the last phrase of verse nineteen popped into my mind. Although well into middle age, I still find women mysterious. I recognize that God has created them to respond to their environment in contrast to the initiation that He has wired into men yet it seems like women see life in vivid, living color while men see it in dreary black and white. Then God takes men and women, who sometimes seem like different species to me, and gives them extraordinary, powerful attraction for one another. I suppose this reflects His sense of humor. (I'll offer the usual caveats that different does not imply better or worse, although I suspect this won't help.)

On another note, as I reflect on taking leave of the San Francisco Bay Area House Church, (what a mouthful)with whom I spent the last four months, I am filled with gratitude to God and to them. They received me with warmth, trust, hospitality, generosity and receptivity. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." (Romans 15:13 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment