Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Southwest

After driving over 2,100 miles in four days, I am fatigued. Left San Diego Saturday morning, and climbed from sea level to over 4,000 feet elevation, and then within a hundred miles back to sea level again at a place called Date Land, home of the date shake. Made it to Tucson, where i stopped in at a friend's restaurant (Epic Cafe)& had a great bowl of potato chowder soup. Thanks Papa Two Feathers. Decided to drive another 150 miles & spent the night in Lordsburg, N. M. Most of my journey was through the deserts of the southwestern U. S., an area distinguished by rocks and scrubs. Sunday morning I drove through the rest of New Mexico and much of West Texas, an interminable trek, ending up in Sonora, TX.
Monday saw me journey on to New Baden, in E. Texas, to my friends Travis & Carol. Carol was ill but Travis treated me to a catfish dinner at a Mexican place. Apparently eating catfish is a Friday night tradition, although I did it on Monday. It made me wonder whether this originated in the days when Spain, with its Catholic religion, controlled the area. (Texas experienced a bewildering array of flags in the short period between 1819 & 1865- Spain, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Union, Confederate, & back to Union again.) Travis & I had two good conversations before I moved along Tuesday morning. Six hundred and sixty-five miles later (12 hours with stops) I arrived at my sister's home in MO.
Traveling is boring & even with a GPS I got off track twice, although not badly. It seems impossible to eat in a healthy way, whether at restaurants, or at people's homes. (I appreciate my standards are different than most) I'm thankful for the chance to cook for myself for the next week. Driving along does offer the opportunity to reflect on things, like the session of Jesus Christ, i.e. what He is doing now between his first and second comings.

No comments:

Post a Comment