Thursday, March 25, 2010

Rubicon

As a life long student of history, I am struck again and again by the resemblance of the United States ca 2010, to the fall of the Roman Republic. Although many things contributed to its demise, many historians view the crossing of the Rubicon river by Julius Caesar & his army as the turning point. One cannot help seeing the recent passage of the health reform package as our turning point. I believe both reflect God's judgment and ultimate authority. "And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place..." (Acts 17:26 ESV) We are paying for our cumulative individual sins.
Am doing my taxes and enjoying the small town ambiance of my sister's residence. Enjoyed conversations with my friend Josh last night & my friend M. T. today. It stopped raining but too early for the buds of spring.
Thankful that by the grace of God I am a citizen of heaven (Phil 3:20)and an pilgrim and sojourner on the earth. Like Abraham I desire "a better country, a heavenly one." (Hebrews 11:13-16)
My sister is tempting me with home made cookies and I have a sweet tooth a mile long. Dentists get rich as a result.

1 comment:

  1. What governments do effects those living in the Kingdom of God: how much money we have to help the poor, needy, and those who are doing ministry where they are not able to support themselves. When governments make mandates its citizens pay (I Sam 8). During the course of history Christians have endured, even matured and grown numerically, in such times! "Lord Jesus increase your church and have mercy on we Americans for our foolishness"!

    ReplyDelete