Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Conference

As I continue my peregrinations around the body of Christ, I find myself in ever more diverse places. One of my old G. O. friends invited me to an Awaken the Dawn Conference this past week. Joe & Patti, another couple from the old days, hosted me. In prior entries i've spoken of "cerebrals" & "expressives." Most of the people at this conference were on the latter end of that spectrum. The emphasis was on worship, prayer, and the prophetic. Speakers included Heidi Baker, Lou Engel Bob Jones, Allan Hood & the local talent. As I've mentioned in the past I attempt to glean from whoever I come into contact with, with the thought that anyone in whom the Holy Spirit dwells has something to offer. With that in mind, Heidi Baker exhibits the compassion of Christ, Lou Engel a prophetic fervor, Bob Jones peace & wisdom. Some healings were reported. The primary goal of what one might loosely call the "Prayer Movement" is the establishment of round the clock houses or places of prayer & worship throughout the world.
On the other hand, one wonders how much of this is highly charged emotional drama. Having experienced the "Toronto Blessing" for two years in a Vineyard church in the mid 90's, this type of experience is not foreign to me. At the end of the day I could not discern any lasting, tangible fruit to that season in my life or in that of those with whom I worshiped. I don't wish to put God in a box in my own mind; I do wish to know- Is this You, God?

No comments:

Post a Comment