Saturday, May 29, 2010

Faithful in the little things

Homeowners may laugh at me, but today is the first time I've used a lawnmower since my childhood, when I used a blade only (no engine) (prehistoric) type. This was finally superseded by a riding lawnmower when my parents purchased a house with a big lawn. By then my youngest brother was ready to take over. Today's model was fueled by gas but this did not prevent it conking out every two minutes when it filled with three week high grass. On the one hand it brings home to me the incessant labor attendant on home ownership. On the other, it reminds me of Luke 16:10a. "One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much..." (I'm adapting the thought out of its Biblical context, which involves integrity in handling money.) If we're faithful to mow the grass weekly, we don't end up with an arduous task. A reflective person can see the analogy to our spiritual lives.
Am enjoying the hospitality & fellowship of Rob & Shalom. Rob was the first mentee that the Lord gave me over a decade ago. I'm very thankful for the privilege. Last August he married a godly woman named Shalom, whom I now have the opportunity of getting to know. She is seven months along. I appreciate her ethnic cuisine, serene demeanor, and receptivity to Scripture.
Tomorrow I move on to upstate New York to visit my friends Hardy & Katrine. Unfortunately they live in an area with no cell phone reception. Then next Wednesday I should trek on to New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment