Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sugar House Inn

The Sugar House Inn, my final stop before returning to New England today, is a small cabin in upstate New York with no electricity or running water. It does have a wood stove & oil lamps, and an attached outhouse. Hardy & Katrine, my host & hostess used it for several years for making maple syrup from trees on their property. More recently their German craftsmanship proved its worth as I slept through a tremendous thunderstorm, snug as a bug in a rug, as the old saying goes, without a drop of rain.
From last July 1st, I've traveled through parts of thirty states, and made almost forty stops with individuals, couples, families & larger groups. These visits ranged from single night stays to a four month stint in the San Francisco Bay Area. I ate everything from a catfish burrito to Filipino cuisine to quinoa and ate out more in the last year than the previous fifteen or twenty. I attended two conferences, a handful of regular church services and about twenty-nine separate home gatherings. I slept on air mattresses, couches, beds. I wrote a short story, finished a novel and transcribed an old novel from typewritten pages to computer, editing along the way. I took walks everywhere- along country fields bursting with corn & soybeans, on Pacific & Gulf beaches, down Chicago streets, and in Memphis parks, suburban areas, and forested lanes.
God introduced me to a number of wonderful brethren, reacquainted me with many more, often after a thirty year hiatus & blessed me to visit relatives & old friends. In my next post I'll discuss some of the prominent themes that the Lord brought out during the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment