Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Brazilian Observations and Adventures

     Yesterday I went walking along the beach by myself. Usually I am always with people. One sees very few domestic dogs in Brazil, and most are very small. As I went about eight in the morning there were quite a few fellow walkers, some with their pets.
     Later that day we took a trip to Guarapari, a small beach town south of Vitoria that is popular with tourists from colder countries in season. The road was probably the best I' ve seen in Brazil with two lanes each way with a center divider. We drove through verdant hills, past saltwater lagoons, and saw a number of cows and a few horses. We ate at a type of restaurant where like a buffet where you pay by the weight of the food. The plates are substantial so I suspect the owners are padding the price.
    Later in the afternoon we visited an older couple, 86 and 83, sprightly, alert people. They have a little enclosed house with a side garden area with several fruit trees. Brazil grows a number of fruits and vegetables that the US does not. I had pumpkin soup for the first time that night.Unfortunately I prefer my fruits as juice. At one point one of my friends suggested that I take a nap in something that sounded like "hedgie." This turned out to be a hammock.
    This morning I went to the dentist. She spoke no English and I very little Portuguese so I certainly did not know how to answer technical dental questions. It was an adventure.
    Brazilian homes are not filled with knickknacks like American houses. Usually there is very little on the walls or elsewhere. They have regular furniture and photos. What they do have is elaborate security systems both physical and electronic. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment