Friday, June 28, 2013

Coqueiral

    Yesterday I was invited to the home of a local businessman for a time of fellowship, and, of course, eating.  I have been very confused about Brazilian eating habits. Apparently they have four or five smaller meals during the day rather than the three larger meals which are customary in the US. My system- both physical and mental- is adjusting to this new reality. My new friend has three children, two of whom are high school age girls. He exhorted them to speak English with me but they were shy. After they heard my broken Portuguese for awhile they decided that they should help me. Their English is better than my Portuguese.
    He showed me three books that he was reading- all originally in English- but translated into Portuguese. One was on prayer and fasting, another on apologetics, and a third on the ministry of apostles and prophets. We also watched the end of the Italy-Spain semi-final Confederation Cup game. The regular game ended in a tie of 0-0. So they have a series of shots with one player alone opposing the goalie from a short distance. Each team made five shots in a row but Italy missed the final try so Spain will face Brazil in the finals.
    We then went to a gathering at the house of Marcos, a friend that i made my last time in Brazil. He is a dear heart- for Christ and His people. He facilitated our worship, and also translated for me. Originally I thought I should teach on the difference between the Old and New covenants but in mid-afternoon I sensed the Holy Spirit changing my direction to speak about money from a Biblical perspective. He led me to talk about the influence of the world in our lives through money and the importance of living a sacrificial, simple life. At one point, to my surprise, I said, " The church in Brazil will complete the work of preaching the gospel to the whole world." I did not intend to say this but believe it could be prophetic. One brother immediately spoke, glorifying God in agreement. Of course God is working powerfully in countries like China also.
     Then I asked a brother Gilberto if he wished to speak. He is a seasoned veteran of the Cross with a powerful prophetic gifting. He is in his seventies, and his health is not good, but the power of the Holy Spirit broke out through him as we prayed for many people, and some in particular. May God receive all the glory through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment