Friday, June 21, 2013

Carros & other Observations

     Carro  (pronounced something like ka-ho) is the word for car in Brazilian Portuguese. Brazil imports all of its new cars, many from France - Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and Fiat from Italy. I don't see that many American made, more Fords than Chevys, and not that many Japanese cars as in the US. Almost all cars are small. Occasionally I see a more expensive or larger vehicle. Most fascinating are the large number of VW busses and bugs from the 70's which brings back memories of my young adulthood.
     Many people live in ten to twenty story apartment/condominium buildings located adjacent to one another. Nice buildings exist right next to battered old buildings. I hear and see a lot of construction. But most of the sidewalks are filled un unrepaired holes and damage.
   As I walk along the boardwalk by the beach I must stick out like a sore thumb- too tall, too pale & yesterday one of the few people wearing sunglasses. Today as I walked to the beach I passed by many busses stalled in traffic, the passengers mostly women on their way to work. Once at the beach I passed by two open sided little tents in which people were receiving a massage. Many people set up either semi-permanent or temporary "barracas" in which to sell various items. Perhaps most interesting are those with coconuts. If you want a drink they hack off one end with a machete and give you a straw.
     Last night i received an opportunity to share the Word of God will a home group on the theme of being aliens and strangers in this world. It was particularly relevant to the audience because of the current protests in Brazil. I have read that the average income of a Brazilian is 29% of an American, and when i went to the grocery store to pick up two normal food items, my cost included tax of 33%. No wonder people are upset. I was very pleased to see how they received the message even when we looked at passages concerning obeying the laws and paying taxes. The proof of this was a number of people asking me for the Biblical references that I used- something i rarely experience in the US.
     My translator was a young woman named Rebekah. It was her first time translating and she did a good job. Over time i have learned to speak slowly, clearly, and not to use slang or try to make jokes, which are usually untranslatable.
   Interesting male Brazilian first names:  Gladstone and Wellington

No comments:

Post a Comment