Thursday, June 13, 2013

Massa

   Yesterday was the Brazilian equivalent of Valentine's Day in Brazil. This may seem odd because we are in mid-June instead of mid- February but it is their winter season because Brazil is below the Equator.  In Portuguese it is called O Dia dos Namadoros.
   Yesterday I also received another lesson in Portuguese. My tutor brought a cookbook of Italian recipes (she is of Italian descent as are many Brazilians) in Portuguese. I leafed through it and found a word that I had heard before in a different context. She knows some English but we stick to Portuguese for immersion. So I asked her what this word "massa" meant.  I had heard it meant very good.  She pointed to a bowl of pasta.  I said, "Massa" means "pasta?" Yes. "So if something is very good you say "pasta," and she started laughing.
    In the evening i was invited to the home of a family whom I had met both in Brazil on my first trip and also lated in the US. They served me "mulkekka," a regional fish stew speciality. Only one speaks English well, and some not at all. After the meal Clemmi asked me to give my testimony... in Portuguese. This was quite an adventure. They had the patience of Job ( James 5:11)to listen as I stumbled along, murdering their language along the way
    Sometimes I think I am still young. A few days in the Acadamia (gym/fitness center) this week have persuaded me otherwise.
    Further evidence of cultural differences is the fact that in the entire house in which I am currently staying there is only one clock, and that is part of the microwave. It is a tangible reminder that Brazilians are not nearly as concerned with time/punctuality as are Americans.
    Have been offered some great ministry opportunities to discuss in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment