Thursday, July 18, 2013

Texeira Freitas

     The church in TF began at 7 in the evening and we finally wound up about one in the morning.
This group had about 300 people who didn't sit down for an hour and a half. Definitely expressives not cerebrals. Intense worship experience followed by so many speakers i lost count. Thiago & Liliana, who minister in an Asian country, gave striking testimonies. Thiago is a modern day David, pouring out his heart for God in song at every opportunity. i was next up and spoke about persevering with Christ. Never knowing the people or situation in which i may be called to minister causes me to have total dependence on the Holy Spirit. My dear "adopted son" and brother in Christ, Reuel, translated for me. Read James 1:2-4 in Portuguese as one of my texts, and also used 1 John 2:12-14. There were many young people in attendance, several of whom came up to me saying, "Do you remember me?" This is a difficult situation because i have already met hundreds of people in a number of places, many of whose names i have only heard once, and which i can't pronounce.
   Pedro spoke next, and then Junior, a brother who ministers in a smaller Asian nation. He is beaming and energetic. He made an appeal for those whom God was calling to go forth to the nations. I am trying to learn by forgoing translation which means that i don't grasp much. At least a hundred people responded. Samuel from Portugal prayed for them generally, and then with loud musical accompaniment the team prayed for them. Neither the person whom i am praying nor i can really hear what is being said so i use a mixture of languages.
     At some point Bruno, whom i had met the day before for the first time, ministered a song he had composed. He had attempted to explain to me in Portuguese that it was inspired by a prayer the Lord had given me at the disciplemakers' retreat several weeks earlier. i was overwhelmed.
   As the prayer time was winding down Vinci summoned me to pray with him for a young woman borh blind. Healing from God is something i believe in but have never seen personally. We and others prayed for this girl. I felt something happen but with the language barrier and the noise didn't know. I learned later that she had always seen only darkness but as we prayed she could see light for the first time. This reminds me of the time in Mark 10:22ff where Jesus prays for a man once. The man reports he sees men like trees walking. Jesus prays a second time and the man's eyes are fully restored. I still don't understand this but i believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment