Friday, July 26, 2013

Missionary Conference #1

    Yesterday was the last in Aracruz. My very friendly "doctor" checked my wound for the third time and found no infection. Discovered that he had worked in a hospital for many years, performed surgeries, finally purchased his own pharmacy but retains his passion for surgery, which may explain why he was so happy to see me.
   Am seeing encouraging signs of organization. Missionaries requiring a ride for the two plus hour trip to VV had their luggage tagged with their name, assignment to van 1 or 2, reception at the conference site by friendly people directing us to a room where we found our first evening meal, with a strong young man to carry my luggage. The ride was a little challenging as i need to elevate my foot when possible, and i sat next to a very nice child who is at the age of constant movement with a body consisting mostly of elbows and knees.
   In the evening the three brothers from Portugal shared. Translators have been assigned to me for every meeting in rotating shifts. A young man named Diego had the honors. As i have heard previously he learned much of his English from watching American videos, TV programs and movies growing up. He has never visited an English speaking country. Anderson, a Brazilian serving in Portugal coordinated the sharing. Pedro was first followed by Samuel. As i am trying to learn, I do not desire constant translation but just if i have a question or a problem. Samuel shared a beautiful testimony of the Lord showing him to adopt (spiritually) a young woman whose father had died recently. This is the heart of God.
     This morning there were workshops. I believe about ten choices in all from seasoned brothers from the mission field. My choice for the first one was done by Sandro about establishing little businesses for self- supporting missionaries, particularly in countries which are hostile to the gospel but are open to investment.
     The second workshop i attended was by Laerte who discussed preparation for missionary work. The barriers he cited were linguistic, cultural, geographical and spiritual. This was well organized. Along the way I am meeting new people and seeing old friends. I am staying at the home of Alex, my 12th different one in Brazil. Had previously met him but had not had the opportunity to stay.
    Am continually amazed as i find the churches here living out the New Testament. I have read, absorbed and tried to live this. Am rejoicing at doing this with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment