Monday, July 8, 2013

Moyses (2)

     Saturday I was taken to a baptism at the chakira, or little farm that the church here purchased some years ago. They use it for monthly baptisms, retreats, and other activities. About ten people were baptized. The first was the wife of the man who had given us the tour of the stadium. She radiated the joy of Christ. The last man went into the pool but did not give evidence of faith, and to their credit the two brothers chose not to baptize him.
     Then i went with several families to a shopping mall. The children wanted McDonalds. There are a few here along with some Subways. I have seen no other franchise stores.
     Then we went to the evening worship service with many people. I was seperated from my Portuguese Bible, and felt nude. Two young women from Detroit and I were introduced. I made a joke about being born a Gaucho. Then brother Moyses preached, the eighty-six year old man referenced in a prior post. What a treasure for the believers here. He spoke with power, passion, conviction and humor. Afterwards I showed 1 Corinthians 4:15 where Paul writes that even though you have ten thousand teachers in Christ that you do not have many fathers to one of the elders, a man about my age. Rogerio said that Moyses had led him to Christ thirty-nine years before. His wife said the same. I was in tears from the power of the Holy Spirit. We then had communion. Each person has his own piece of bread and cup. One eats a little and saves the rest to share with others. People go up to each other all over the building and eat together along with hugs, kisses and blessings.
   Then I was taken to the home of Alexandre and Clarissa, a couple, who with their three children had visited Florida the month before. They are extremely hospitable. The nine year old girl will sometimes speak very slowly, with deliberate pauses and hand motions so I can understand.
     Monday evening Samir took me to a suburb called Guyapiri (?). We had dinner at the house of one of the elders- pancakes- the first time I have seen them in almost two months in Brazil. They were served with jelly not syrup. It seems common to have breakfast type food at dinner time. The main meal is in the middle of the day. Then we went to the worship service with about two hundred people, most of whom know Samir. He had suggested that I teach on the Lord's Supper which I did, with his help and a young brother named Calebe for translation. It was an extensive effort, but the reality is that there is nothing that I can teach these people that they are not already walking in. I continue to be overwhelmed by the maturity of the believers here. As one elder told me- fancy words are nice but actual fruit is what the Lord is looking for.
   Today I was able to walk- it rained yesterday- I need the exercise. A brother named Jimmy has brought me to his home for the mid-day meal. He has an old VW "bug" from about 1970 that i want to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment