Wednesday, July 31, 2013

E. T.

    Many of you probably remember the science fiction film, E. T. about an extra-terrestial being that gets stranded on Earth and needs to find his way home. Made in 1982, it is one of the most popular movies of all time. This morning i was talking with one of the daughters of my current host family, a college student majoring in English. She and her family spent six months in the US recently. We discussed cultural differences, language learning, and even US history, which she is also studying.Some of the topics that Brazilians like to discuss are soccer (futebol), cafe (coffee), TV, beer, and BBQ.  Some of the cultural differences she mentioned was that of complimenting and greeting, and also referring to obvious physical traits.
     For example when some one enters a room they greet everyone individually even if there are twenty people there. Brazilians are very quick to offer to help or suggest things. There is a famous painter who had only one arm who was referred to publicly as the cripple. This is not considered offensive as it would be in the US. I have very thick silvery white hair and everyone is always commenting on it, and how much they like it.
    I asked about racism and she said it is very subtle but that almost everyone has at least one African or indigenous ancestor in their family tree. (I,ve read 96% of Brazilians). I mentioned that everyone seemed to know about me, even personal details. She said, "You're like E.T. You're pale, tall, a foreigner, and everyone is curious about you." I got a big chuckle about this comparison.
    Enjoying my relative rest period this week before resuming traveling next week. My hostess, a very hard working woman, is singing worship songs in Portuguese while she prepares almoco, the main, midday meal.
   Last night i finally had the opportunity to read and listen to the Bible in Portuguese at the same time. I need to concentrate but have no problem following along. If i do this enough i think it will help my pronunciation and comprehension.

1 comment:

  1. Hey ET, we miss you ! Is it time for you to get back yet???? I can tell you are having something to laugh about huh.
    Tchau,
    Um beijo dos seus amigos de Milford, MA

    ReplyDelete