Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hospitality

The saints continue to show me exemplary hospitality. I had the joy & privilege of meeting Steve & Dorah, the latter the daughter of friends of mine, for the first time Sunday evening. I practiced for being a grandpa with their two sons, Nathan 2 1/2 & Adam 1. Listened to what was on their hearts, eventually suggested prayer, and then embarked on a discussion of the "one another" verses. Dorah asked an important question, which led to an extended excursus in the Letter. Throughly enjoyed my time with them, and hope to repeat it.

On Monday went back to San Diego, where Kerry & Terri Smith extended more wonderful hospitality. We climbed Cowles Mt. together. Quite a view from the peak & good exercise. Returned to their home, and enjoyed a nice healthy meal. As I explored their tastefully landscaped backyard, with its extensive variety of trees, plants and shrubs, I reflected that you can do things in the San Diego climate that you just can't do in Boston. The next morning Kerry took me to the top of Mt. Helix, which is surmounted by a cross visible from the freeway below. We sat in what looked like a replica of a Greek or Roman stone amphitheater. I explained more clearly what I believe God wants me to do, and we had a good time of prayer.

Tuesday saw me up in what the locals call the "Inland Empire," east of LA with Bill & Ileana. Their heart for people is as big as Canada. Bill took me into the Angeles National Forest & we hiked up a little trail. They crossed over into NT patterns of gathering some years ago & I had the privilege of fellowship with the brethren they know. Felt like God knit our hearts together in an amazingly short time. Good times of prayer and mutual encouragement together.

Wednesday returned to San Diego where my friend Larry is involved in prison ministry. God has blessed him with a large facility for prisoners transitioning out of incarceration to full civilian life. They operate Biblically & see many conversions. Larry is an evangelist with a powerful gifting. In the evening we went to a meeting of people preparing for a big outreach on Saturday. Many were young, some former gang members, mostly Hispanic, who have seen their lives transformed by the love of Christ. Instructive to see school principals, police, pastors, and others working together to give Christ to those who are perishing in their neighborhoods.

Today (Thursday) I'm getting caught up on logistical things & spending time with the One who loves me more than anyone else ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment