Thursday, October 8, 2009

Walking with God

Christians speak often of the need to "walk with God." This Thursday morning in Arizona, as I continued my practice of taking regular physical walks, I reflected on this theme. In the last month or so I've had the privilege of walking on logging roads, mountain trails, a college track while their football team practiced, past numerous fields of corn and soybeans in different states, on the streets of Chicago, with a friend down a bike path and another around his housing development. 1 Timothy 4:8 says that "while bodily training (physical exercise) is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come." (ESV) I seek to use these times to cultivate my personal relationship with Jesus. He reminded me today that He cares for me more than anyone else ever could, and that if I receive from Him I have something to give to others rather than seeking to drain what they have for myself.

In recent days i have driven from a small town in western Iowa through hundreds of miles of grain in Nebraska- the 75 MPH speed limit in the west facilitates travel- through drier country in eastern Colorado, to 8,000 feet near Denver, with spectacular views, through the deserts of New Mexico to Tucson. The availability of water determines human habitatation, and its relative lack means long stretches without it. Tomorrow i head to southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment