Monday, October 26, 2009

Spiritual Parenting

God keeps flooding me with the theme of spiritual parenting (mentoring, discipleship). I spent the last few days in the company of men transitioning out of prison, and those seeking to minister to them. Many had embraced Christ. I found them respectful, courteous, hospitable, generous, eager to help and express the love of Christ. One evening i went with the founder of this ministry and two former inmates i'll call M & M to a "diversion" meeting, a program set up for minors who have been arrested for violating the city curfew. They pay a fine of $350 or attend a series of meetings designed to persuade them not to take up a life of dope, crime, gangs & prison. M, a black, and M, a Hispanic, eloquently and forcefully argued against this lifestyle, using their own lives to illustrate.
In the next few days, I lived in the company of ex-cons. I stood out like a sore thumb since I never was a street guy nor am i "inked." (tattooed) They are no different than anyone else. They desire what I call the three A's (affection/attention/approval) that everyone else wants. If you treat them with respect you have no problems. This opened the door for one on one ministry.
As I talked and listened to people one constant was present, the absence of a positive male role model. The men had grown up without a dad. He was dead, or in prison, or disappeared or whatever. In searching for adult male approval they had turned to the gang, a surrogate family.

On Sunday I had the oppty. to visit a home church in an affluent suburb and make an appeal to the saints there to give of their wisdom, perspective, experience in the role of spiritual parents. These brethren welcomed me, a veritable stranger, into their midst, allowed me to share, exercised hospitality and referred me to other saints with whom they are in relationship. May our Lord Jesus bless them with the love of God and the steadfastness of Christ. (2 Thess 3:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment