Sunday, October 4, 2009

Providential Encounter

As I have a number of all day drives this coming week, I thought i'd make a blog entry today. Enjoyed my stay in SW Missouri and the hospitality of my sister and brother-in-law. Wednesday evening went to football games with 3rd & 4th, and 5th & 6th graders complete with an announcer, a professional looking field, bleachers, linesmen, referees and coaches, uniforms and a sizeable attendance. They take football very seriously. No public funds involved; all done through volunteers. Too bad we can't run the whole country that way. I found everyone in this small town friendly and helpful.

Thursday night I called my friends Ross & Trina, whom I have written of in these pages as fellow itinerant workers. I had not spoken to them for the better part of a month, and had no idea of their location. It turned out they were about a hundred miles west en route from CA to the Boston area. God blessed us all in fellowship, counsel and prayer as they stayed the night and the next morning before continuing their travel. Unlike so many in the body of Christ, they have a genuine heart for evangelism. We need more saints like them.

Saturday I drove up to western Iowa to visit my nephew Kyle. This morning we spoke on a topic that a number of others have broached as I have traveled west. Many people hold deep concerns about the current state and future of the country, particularly with regard to its political and economic systems. I believe their concerns are valid; I also believe we have gone over the edge of no return with both. The words of Jesus, "Watch and pray," keep returning to me in this context. Believers in Christ can place no ultimate hope in either politics or the economy but in Him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment